Bonded Lingual retainers
These retainers are attached to your teeth, so you must floss them daily to keep them clean. This process may seem intimidating at first, but you’ll eventually get the hang of it. Here’s how to clean your permanent retainer:
1. Grab a 6-inch piece of floss and use a floss threader to thread the floss between your two front lower teeth.
2. Hold one end of the floss with your fingers and the other with the threader.
3. Once you get the floss under your retainer wire, simply move it up and down between the teeth all the way to the gum line. The floss should gently go below the gum line if possible.
4. Slide the floss sideways to the next area you want to clean. Pull down until it’s between your teeth.
5. Repeat this process with each tooth that’s attached to your permanent retainer.
If you’re having a hard time flossing, don’t hesitate to ask for help from your dentist or orthodontist. They can help guide your technique and provide more tips.