Braces are a common orthodontic treatment that can help straighten teeth and improve oral health. Knowing everything there is to know about braces is important if you’re considering receiving them.
What are Braces?
Braces are orthodontic appliances that are used to straighten teeth and address dental concerns. They are made up of brackets, wires, and bands that work together to gradually move the teeth into their correct position over time with little pressure. The most common material for braces is metal, although there are also options in ceramic or transparent materials for a more concealed appearance.
Braces are used by orthodontists to treat a variety of problems, including overbites, underbites, crossbites, and spaces between teeth. Depending on the complexity of the situation and individual characteristics, the time required for braces treatment might range from a few months to a few years. To guarantee development and obtain the intended results, an orthodontist must perform regular adjustments and monitoring during the course of treatment.
Types of Braces
In recent years, braces have advanced significantly, providing a variety of alternatives to meet diverse needs and preferences. The most common types include:
- Traditional Metal Braces: These are the most popular type and include progressively straightening the teeth using metal brackets and wires.
- Ceramic Braces: Ceramic braces, which come in transparent or tooth-colored versions, are a more discreet alternative to metal braces.
- Lingual Braces: These are positioned behind the teeth and are mostly undetectable from the front.
- Clear Aligners: These removable, transparent trays, such as Invisalign, gradually shift the teeth into the desired position.
Things to Know About Getting Braces
Consultation with an Orthodontist
It’s essential to make an appointment with an orthodontist near you for a consultation before receiving braces. The orthodontist will assess your oral health, take X-rays, and go through your treatment choices with you at your initial appointment. They will describe the different types of braces that are available. During this appointment, you get the chance to bring up your concerns, ask questions, and gain an in-depth understanding of the process of treatment.
Treatment Duration and Commitment
Orthodontic treatment with braces typically requires a significant time commitment. Various factors, including the complexity of the case and the intended result, might affect how long treatment takes. For 12 to 36 months on average, braces may be worn. For best outcomes, it’s essential to comprehend and adhere to the suggested treatment time frame, attend scheduled sessions, and do as instructed by the orthodontist.
Oral Hygiene and Maintenance
When wearing braces, maintaining good dental hygiene becomes even more essential. Wires, brackets, and other components offer more surfaces for the buildup of plaque and food particles. Consider the following to maintain good dental health while undergoing treatment:
- Brushing: After each meal, give your teeth a thorough brushing with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Be sure to thoroughly clean the area surrounding the brackets and wires.
- Flossing: With braces, flossing requires extra caution. To clean in-between teeth and beneath wires, use threaders or special orthodontic floss.
- Diet restrictions: Certain foods have the potential to damage braces or create complications. Avoid chewy, sticky, or crunchy foods since they can cause brackets to come loose or wires to flex. A thorough list of foods to stay away from will be provided by your orthodontist.
Discomfort and Adjustments
It’s normal to feel a little uncomfortable when wearing braces for the first time and following each adjustment. The discomfort that might be caused by the braces’ pressure on the teeth usually goes away within a few days. You can use over-the-counter painkillers to alleviate discomfort or ask our orthodontist in Orlando for silicone or orthodontic wax products to soothe any irritation brought on by wires or brackets.
Getting braces near you is a significant decision that requires careful consideration. You can start orthodontic treatment with confidence if you are aware of these four essential factors. Always seek the advice of a skilled orthodontist who can assist you with your treatment, answer your worries, and help you attain a beautiful, healthy smile. Braces can give long-lasting advantages and enhance your dental health for years to come with the right maintenance, commitment, and assistance.
Looking for Braces in Orlando?
Visit All About Smiles Ortho if you are considering orthodontics. We have a team of experts who can help you determine the right treatment option to address your dental concerns. Schedule your appointment with us to achieve the smile you desire!